Again, Nicholas Breton: "An Atheist or Most Bad Man"-BA 15
"Bedlam" and "Punk"
These two words will be talked about separately, but were close together in the work; therefore, I've decided to put them in this one common place.
1.) Bedlam-In the beginning of his characterization of an atheist, he compares this bad man to a bedlam. After checking out the footnote, I learned that the OED says it means the same as madman. Breton says this man, "in passion a bedlam." So, in any kind of excitement, frustration, or any emotion, this man forgets who he is and becomes a madman or just someone who acts totally crazy.
2.) Punk-As I continued to read about the atheist's character, I found that Breton uses the word "punk." When I saw this, I thought of a naive, young brat that insists on doing things his/her own way without accepting assistance in trying to figure out what is best for them (aka: hoodlum). But according to the footnote, the OED defines it as a prostitute. Breton continues to describe the atheist by saying, "his punk his paradise." By using the word paradise, I'm assuming that he is saying that to this bad man, there is no greater joy in life than his prostitute.
Neither of these accusations are kind or nice. Therefore, I can only conclude that it was heavily frowned upon to be an atheist during this time.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment