Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Dutiful Wife and Liege Woman"

Queen Henrietta Maria: "The Queen's Letter"-BA 371
Full Context: "Sir, I am and always shall be your most dutiful wife and liege woman."

Men and women are so different now than they were then. She signs her letter as the King's dutiful wife. What's that? I think of it as her being busy doing business for the King like securing weapons and funds for his war.

In the last part of the signature, she claims she is the King's liege woman. Through this statement, she claims she is not only working hard to complete him (do what he cannot), but she is also very loyal to him.

Just a thought: I know marriages then were not perfect, but what if men and women today practiced the same sort of encouragement, loyalty, dutifulness, etc. to their spouse as she writes about in her letter? I think it would make his/her significant other feel better (rest easier) to know that they are important to the one they love (or are attached to somehow).

No comments:

Post a Comment